8.01.2011

Marriage Mondays: Marriage Supermodels, Tiny Traveler

Today's Marriage Monday is a series of interviews I did with some lovely friends of mine. I asked a bunch of girlfriends, all of whom are in very different stages in their dating/relationship lives, some questions about marriage role models. I am really excited to share their responses with you. I "participated" in the interview also, and will be posting my own answers last. I'm excited to share with you these smart, interesting women's take on marital role models and how they weigh in on our own marriages. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed putting it together! And please, feel free to answer the interview questions yourself in the comments! I'd love to hear more views on this topic! : )

--------------------------------------

Tiny Traveler and I also met when I worked in advertising. It wasn't long before we realized we had a lot in common (including having birthdays just three days apart!). A few years ago, she left me and moved to San Diego (the whale's vagina). I miss having her close, but it was the right move for her since she ended up meeting her future husband there. She's now engaged and getting married next year and we're super psyched to celebrate with her. What I always loved about Tiny Traveler is that she wasn't hung up on guys. She was always the modern girl to me, in terms of dating. When she found someone she liked, she'd date them, but she was always more interested in traveling the world and going where her interests took her. Luckily, she's found a great partner who shares her passion for travel. But like me, Tiny Traveler has struggled with the issue of marriage, which is why I love her answers. I hope you do, too. Enjoy!

1. Marty Created Alias? Tiny Traveler

2. What is your marital status? (If you are married, please tell me how long you've been married.)
Engaged

3. Growing up, what was your view of marriage?
When I was little I always thought in the back of my mind I would get married. As I got older, to be honest, I felt that I was prepared to be happy [whether] single or married. If marriage was in the cards for me, it would happen. If I was to get married, I wouldn't settle just for the sake of getting married. Either way I felt there would be pros and cons to being [either] single or married.

4. Do you feel like you have strong role models for marriage in your life?
When it comes to marriage, not so much. I always felt that many people around me were unhappy in their marriages and/or married for the wrong reasons, which is why I told myself that I would rather be single and happy (with an occasional "feel sorry for my single ass" moment) rather than settling just for the sake of getting married.

4a. If yes, how do you feel like they affect your marriage?

4b. If no, is/was this a concern for you? Do you wish you had better marriage role models?
Of course I wish I had better role models, however it's not too much of a concern for me. I guess I can't really tell if it will be an issue or not until I'm married. I also think that seeing examples of unhappy marriages can also be positive in a way as it sets an example for what you don't want your marriage to become.

5. Do you think having positive marriage role models is important to a successful marriage? Why or why not?
I think you can definitely learn from positive role models. You can learn from the dynamics of a good relationship and apply what you can to your marriage to some extent. For example, I'm sure successful marriages involve lots of compromise and communication. However, I believe it also depends on the couple and if they are really compatible with each other personality-wise and with what they both want for the marriage.

Thank you so much for agreeing to share with us!

Do you subscribe to Not the Marrying Kind? If not, you should! It's free and fun and it means you automatically get new posts when the blog is updated. No having to check back! Click here for more details.

(Photo by Photobooth Express)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...