6.14.2011

First Look: Once Upon a Time

Not that long ago, I told you the exciting things on the horizon this month. One of them was that I was going to give you guys a little preview of a new television show. Though this is not at all a blog about television, if you're a regular reader, you know that I loves me some television. Sure, I may talk about sitcoms and reality TV all the time, but I love a lot of good shows, too. True Blood, Big Love, Lost, The Good Wife, and The Killing are among the many dramas I indulge in on the boob tube. That being said, I was super excited when I was given a preview of two shows premiering this fall on ABC. One is a reboot of Charlie's Angels, which, truth be told, doesn't interest me that much. It helps that Drew Barrymore is exec producing, but let's be honest, doesn't it feel a bit...late?

On the other hand, the second show they sent very much appeals to me! And I'm happy to share some details about it with you! It's called Once Upon a Time, and it features a great cast, and a super interesting premise. Here's the description they sent:

Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz (Lost, Tron: Legacy) invite you to a bold new vision of the world where fairy tales and the modern day are about to collide.

Anna Swan (Jennifer Morrison) knows how to take care of herself. She's a 28-year old bail bonds collector who's been on her own ever since she was abandoned as a baby. But when the son she gave up years ago finds her, everything will change. Henry (Jared Gilmore) is 10 years old now and in desperate need of Anna's help. Henry believes that Anna actually comes from an alternate world... and is Prince Charming (Josh Dallas) and Snow White's (Ginnifer Goodwin) missing daughter. According to his book of fairy tales, they sent her away to protect her from the Evil Queen's (Lana Parilla) curse, which trapped the fairytale world forever, frozen in time. Of course Anna doesn't believe a word, but when she brings Henry back to Storybrooke, she finds herself drawn to this unusual boy and his strange New England town. Concerned for Henry, she decides to stay for a while, but she soon suspects that Storybrooke is more than it seems. It's a place where magic has been forgotten, but is still powerfully close... where fairytale characters are alive, even though they don't remember who they once were--including the Evil Queen who is now Henry's foster mother. The epic battle for the future of all worlds is beginning, but for good to win, Anna will have to accept her destiny and fight like hell. Brace yourself for a modern fable with thrilling twists and hints of darkness. Brimming with wonder, and filled with the magic of our most beloved fairy tales, Once Upon A Time is a fitting follow up to Lost from two master storytellers.

I don't know about you, but I loved fairy tales growing up. I read the complete Brothers Grimm, including all the awesome banned tales. I also loved the Pink Fairy Book! Plus, I really get a kick out of movies like Shrek, and Enchanted, which retell a lot of these fairy tales in interesting ways. So, it makes sense that I would be easily sucked into a show like this.

Plus, I'm totally digging that the Edwards Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, former producers of both Lost and Felicity (two of my old faves) are producing this show. I'm also impressed with the cast, always the sign of a good show. You've got Ginnifer Goodwin, who you might know from Mona Lisa Smile, and Big Love.


And Robert Carlyle, who you probably remember the most from The Full Monty (though he's done a lot of other awesome things, too!).


And, though I hated her character on How I Met Your Mother, I think I'll like Jennifer Morrison a lot more in this show.


And just in case, you need an actual preview, here's a short trailer from ABC.




What do you guys think? Would you tune in to Once Upon a Time this fall?

(Ginnifer Goodwin photo via here; Jennifer Morrison photo via here; Robert Carlyle photo via here)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...