11.07.2011

Marriage Mondays: PDA


Saturday, we took our engagement session photos (more on that soon!). Yes. Almost two years after we were married. I'm aware of the ridiculousness. It ended being a lot of fun and we're psyched to see the end result. One thing that was a bit hard at first was that we had to kiss and hug and hold hands...A LOT. More than we EVER do. And most of all, in front of our photographer. After a while, we got comfortable, I guess, but it was hard for me. We're not PDA people, A.P. and I. In fact, I've never been a PDA person. To me, it's rude to make out in front of others. When other people do this in front of me, it makes me uncomfortable, so why would I want to do that to someone else?

Years ago, I visited a friend. I had just arrived from the airport when her boyfriend (now husband) showed up to pick something up from her, something that he had left behind that he needed. After talking to them for a few minutes, I got up to the use the bathroom. When I came out, she was sitting on his lap, despite the fact that there were four or five additional seating options in the living room. She continued to sit there the entire time. It drove me crazy! It seemed so juvenile, so high school. More than that, though, it made me very uncomfortable. It made me feel like a third wheel even though I was an invited guest.

PDA is always a sensitive topic, I think. Some people get their feathers really ruffled about not being able to display their love to the world. Others get really offended by it. I'd like to think I'm somewhere in the middle. It annoys me, but I don't reprimand anyone for it. However, the reason I don't like it is because I just think some of those things (e.g. kisses beyond a sweet peck or soft kiss, groping each other, etc.) are best left at home. I'm a big believer in a time and place for everything, and making out is a personal thing. It should be done at home. When I first kissed my first boyfriend, it was outside my childhood home (which was a condo on the lakefront). We sat outside my building on a busy, busy street and full on made out. People walking by stared at us and people driving by shouted lewd remarks. See? Should've done it at home. Lol...

A.P. is not a PDA person either. We're not hand holders (though we do like to walk around with an arm around each other's waist/shoulders...that's our version of hand holding) and we don't really like to kiss beyond a peck or soft kiss in public. When we got married, we even struggled with kissing at the wedding. We worried about kissing in front of our family and friends. We worried about what was "too much." In the end, the moment happens and you go with it, which is exactly what we did.

But getting married also made us realize that in some ways, we're "grown ups." (I put it in quotes because I still have a hard time believing it.) Making out in public is not exactly classy when you get older, just like wearing a string bikini loses its appeal as you get older and older (did you hear that, Hollywood???). In some ways, it's cute to be the still in love married couple that kisses in public, but you want to be careful you don't cross the line and look the weirdo whores that don't know when to give it a rest.

Soooo...do you kiss in public? Are you a PDA person or not so much?


(Photo via here)

Do you subscribe to Not the Marrying Kind? If not, you should! It's free and fun and it means you automatically get new posts when the blog is updated. No having to check back! Click here for more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...