3.02.2011

All Work and No Play Makes Marty a Dull Sick Girl

Wow. I can't even describe how much energy it is taking to write this post. I have been in such a work whirlwind the past week and a half that I can't even believe it. I've gone completely MIA, and not just here. My mom was going on a cruise, and I got so busy with work I never got to call her before she left. I thought it would be better with the recent three day weekend (President's Day), alas it was not meant to be. I worked all day Monday on various stuff I could do from home. Then my four day work week saw me working three twelve hour days! It was all I could do to come home and crash. Plus, I've been so run down that I think I'm getting sick. I haven't been sick with a cold since October of 2009. Geesh.

Next Monday is my 30th birthday, and luckily it falls on Casimir Pulaski Day, which means I have the day off! Woo-hoo! What better gift? In the mean time, between twelve hour days, and struggling to keep my eyes open, I've managed to watch some bad TV and start a new book.

Over President's Day weekend, I'm not proud to admit that I watched four seasons of Keeping Up with the Kardashians/Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami. I did a lot of work while I watched the bulk of the episodes, but, yeah, that's in my brain now. You can't take that shit out.

To balance out that useless knowledge, I also started reading a controversial new book on my Kindle. That's right, ladies, I'm finally getting around to reading all about "Chinese Mothers." I first read about Amy Chua's book Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother in Entertainment Weekly, and decided I would read it. Then, one of my favorite blogs, Avoision, posted about the article that she wrote for the Wall Street Journal a little while back discussing the premise of the book. It's an interesting concept. Basically, she acted like a dictator and claims that her kids turned out awesome as a result. She then further claims this is how all "Chinese mothers" are and that is why "Chinese" children are more successful than Western children in many respects (I'm putting Chinese in quotes because early on she claims that it's just a descriptor she uses to describe a type of parent...the dictator kind). It's an interesting theory, and I'm learning more about myself as I read it. Especially when I find myself thinking, "Why is this weird? Sounds good to me!" Uh-oh. Looks like I'm a future dictator, er, I mean "Chinese mother."

1 comment:

  1. This comment by Musing on Beauty accidentally got deleted. Oops!

    I feel for you, the past 2 weeks have been crazy for me as well, especially work-wise. And when I could crash on the sofa, I watched as many Gossip Girl episodes as I could :) and that's it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...