4.19.2011

Guest Blogger: Crabs & Coconut (plus a little shrimp)

When I first started blogging, I had two readers. They appeared out of nowhere, and I was so happy to have them. We sort of became a little threesome. We commented on each others' blogs, kept up with what we were doing, and basically stalked each other. One day, I was heartbroken when I went to one of the blogs, Crabs & Coconuts, and saw that Sommer, the blogger, had written a post saying that she and her fiance were calling off their wedding, and saying she was going to take down the blog. For months, I checked back, hoping the blog would magically re-appear. It didn't. Over the past two years, Sommer has commented on my blog, but I never knew what happened. The other day, I reconnected with her, and asked her if she would mind being a guest blogger this week. I'm happy to tell you she said yes, and wrote this lovely post about how her life has changed. Enjoy!

Almost two years ago, my significant other and I (sorry, I'm too old to say boyfriend, lol) were planning to get married. We set the date, picked the place, even started a zany blog about the impending trip down the aisle. Then, six months before we dipped in the marriage pool, we imploded. And not imploded in a carefully organized way, but pure and utter chaos and destruction!


I moved out of the home we shared for the past four years (we've been together for 10 years or so), went to therapy, lost about 30 pounds (the highlight of the implosion), stopped teaching, and just stopped everything. I did pick up hanging out with my girlfriends more often (girlfriend is okay to say at ANY age lol).

Then the dreaded wedding day loomed in the distance. What was I going to do but stay home in my room like a shut-in. NO NO NO! I had had enough.

It was time to get on with the business of living. That quote from Shawshank Redemption stuck in my head one night. A few months later, we reconnected and tried to work things out. We even went to therapy and a fun filled trip to Mexico. Eventually, we got back together...let me stop lying, we got back together right after the wedding date, and picked up like things never stopped.

There were many lessons learned in that short time. I learned A LOT about myself, men, and that life happens, whether you participate or sit on the sidelines! Today, we have moved past the past and have a little shrimp added to the crazy mix. She is now three months old, and I simply can't imagine life without her. Even though my days are now filled with pee, poo, vomit, boogers, baby books, and baby music, I wouldn't trade any of it for anything.

So, what have I taken away from the craziness of the past two years? I've learned to take life as it comes and try not to control everything around me and just ENJOY life! Granted these lessons took a long time to learn, it's worth it in the end, as I can pass on my lessons learned to the little one.

P.S. Life DOESN'T actually end like I thought when you have kids! We take her to happy hour (oh the horror), brunch, dinner. I sometimes go to the gym and leave her home with Coconut...we take her EVERYWHERE we go!

Thanks again, Sommer! I still miss your voice! And I'm still encouraging you to come back to the blogging side (it's like the dark side, but better)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...